Veneers can be used to correct discoloured (or stained) teeth, mal-positioned or rotated teeth (see orthodontics), gaps, large fractures, worn or short teeth. They can also be used to "broaden" the look of your entire arch of teeth or make your smile look bigger.
- Dental veneers are thin shells of very aesthetic tooth coloured porcelain (see also Porcelain Veneers) or composite (see Composite Veneers) that fit over teeth and improve their colour, shape and overall appearance.
- The placement of veneers can dramatically improve a smile and have sometimes been labelled "instant orthodontics"as they can be used to restore:
- Spacing between teeth and
- Crowding of teeth
Veneers can also be used to correct:
- Heavily stained teeth
- Fractured, chipped or worn teeth and
- Poorly shaped or crooked teeth
- With improvements in materials and bonding agents,veneers typically last 10-30 years but may have to be replaced or repaired (repair only possible with composite veneers) due to:
- Cracking or chipping
- Shrinkage of the gum line (see Gum Recession)
- Damage from trauma or grinding (see Bruxism)
- The cost of veneers can vary greatly with Direct Composite Veneers ranging from $250 to $750 (avg. $450) and Porcelain Veneers ranging from $1000 to $2500 (avg. $1200). At SAS Dental we use the very best materials available. It is up to each dentist to justify their fees.
- Good oral hygiene is always recommended with or without veneers.
- Common sense applies with regard to function and parafunction.Hard objects and foods such as finger nails and bones should be avoided.