ARE THERE ISSUES ASSOCIATED WITH BLEACHING?
- They may cause temporary Sensitivity (for up to 2 days)
- They may cause temporary minor Gum irritation
- They do not change the colour of dental Fillings. After a whitening treatment it may be necessary to have fillings resurfaced or replaced to match the new shade
- They elevate the level of oxygen in the Enamel so any subsequent procedures which require bonding should be delayed for two weeks after the bleaching treatment
ARE PEROXIDES SAFE TO USE?
Hydrogen peroxide (the active agent) is also produced in the body and its effects have been studied for many years
When carried out according to Instructions tooth bleaching is a safe and simple procedure
WHAT DO I DO IF MY TEETH BECOME SENSITIVE?
Remember that sensitivity if it occurs is temporary (1-2 days at most)
Some measures that may help include:
- Decrease frequency of use eg every second day especially if alternate with Tooth Mousse
- Decrease duration to one hour or less as opposed to overnight
- Make sure you use only very small amounts (match head size for each tooth)
- Take a break from whitening and condition the teeth with the Tooth Mousse supplied with the kit
- Maintain optimal Oral Hygiene
- Use Colgate Pro-Relief or Sensodyne tooth pastes
- Bring the trays in for an adjustment
ARE BLEACHING TOOTHPASTES VERY EFFECTIVE?
The active ingredients of bleaching Toothpastes are present in much lower concentrations than those in home bleaching kits and they tend to be immediately washed off the tooth surface by Saliva
Also, so called bleaching toothpastes may contain coarser/larger more abrasive particles and if used incorrectly may actually damage teeth by wear around the gum line
Any very gritty paste (e.g. smokers powder/paste, Vicco, Pearl Tooth Drops etc) should be used with extreme caution
HOW LONG DOES THE BLEACHING LAST?
Bleaching is permanent however teeth can still become dirty and they will continue to age in a normal way with the passage of time
Over a five year period expect about 10 to 15 % reversal of whitening
HOW EFFECTIVE IS HOME BLEACHING IN WHITENING THE TEETH?
Home bleaching is the safest and most effective way to whiten teeth.
According to many reports it is the Gold Standard in whitening.